Venue

Gregynog Hall is a very large country house. It stands in wooded parkland with beautiful walks and gardens, some five miles north of Newtown in Powys. The house itself is over a hundred and fifty years old, though parts of an older house have been incorporated and there has been a hall on the site since at least the 12th century. The house has been described as one of the hidden treasures of Mid Wales, and provides an idyllic and relaxing venue for the conference.

In 1920, the Gregynog estate was bought by the Misses Gwendoline and Margaret Davies, sisters of the first Lord Davies, and they developed it as a centre for music, international conferences and fine printing (the Gregynog Press). Both sisters were notable collectors of paintings; the bulk of their collection is now in the National Museum of Wales, but many lesser known pictures and some fine prints and pieces of sculpture remain at Gregynog.

In 1960, Miss Margaret Davies made a gift of Gregynog to the University of Wales, and, on her death in 1963, the University entered into occupation and accepted its first courses in 1964.